Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Edison Audio and Motion Picture Collection

I originally wrote this entry on September 7, 2004, and published it on blogs.sun.com.


The Library of Congress has been hosting a stupendous collection of motion pictures and audio recordings by companies associated with Thomas Alva Edison.


These recordings are truly great in scope, interest and quality.


One of my favorites is the Buffalo dance, peformed by Last Horse, Parts His Hair, Hair Coat. Now, I don't know about the level of authenticity of this dance but it looks as authentic if not more authentic than some I've seen performed in the last 25 years.


Another one of my favorites are the motion pictures of the Sutro Baths: 1, 2. I remember visiting the ruins of these baths on coastal walks in San Francisco in the 1980s and 1990s.



No comments: